My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Sunday, December 08, 2013

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

I had read Raymond Carver's short story collection "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" a couple of years ago already (maybe a decade or so) and had kept a very positive memory of it. So when I saw it lying around the other day, I picked it up and essentially read within one evening and one morning. The speed with which I raced through this book already hints at what I thought of it, Carver has such an amazing way to describe human relations with such few words - and thus darkly... Let's hope for humanity that he is wrong about people's nature, even while his stories show all the strength of what is human-created culture.

No comments: